How to get your name changed while transitioning in India

06:53:00 Avni Kashyap 0 Comments

Changing of Name is one of the most important necessity which needs to be fulfilled asap. Don’t you know you can get your name changed along with gender without surgery in India. Yes you can ,in my interaction with many trans persons i found that many of the them in india are unaware of the fact that now they can get their name changed as well as gender changed on their Voter ID's , Pan card , Passport, and all the educational documents, after the NALSA judgement of August 2014. Now there is no necessity of getting your surgery done.

So below i’ll be explaining you how to get your name changed.

I’ve had many problems in getting my name changed 2 years back, but now i can at least dictate you the procedure.
  1. Make sure that you have been diagnosed by a psychologist for GID because for that a psychological assessment is must.(better prefer a government one). My psychologist had told to that get an appointment of a psychologist at govt. Hospital because government officials will trust them more.
  2. Now get an affidavit for name change done . Go to downloads for the format.
  3. Get your latest 2 passport sized photographs attested by a gazetted officer(example:- civil surgeons or  Any grade A government official).
  4. Now go for advertisement of name change on your local newspaper. (Keep the whole page of that published advertisement).
  5. Make the hard and soft copy of that printing matter on Ms Word format.
  6. Print the certificate for genuinity of soft copy content and get it attested.
  7. Now make a cover page stating what’s included.
  8. Get a demand draft of ₹700 on the favour of CONTROLLER OF PUBLICATION , DEPARTMENT OF PUBLICATION , CIVIL LINES ,DELHI . for extra copies you can pay ₹35 for each copy of gazette.
  9. Now get the Name change advertisement to be printed on Gazette of India. Send or submit personally all the documents to the Controller of publication , Department of publication ,Civil lines , Delhi-54 via Registered post only or go there and submit it.
  10. After a week you can call them for confirmation that you're documents have been received or not.
  11. Once, you’ll get your The Gazette copies attach its xerox  with all the data updation forms and get the name and gender changed .

Download formats for every required documents from the Download tab.